ISAPI Rewrite – URL Rewriting for Windows Server IIS
Posted on March 26, 2007. • Written by Brad Anderson
ISAPI Rewrite – URL Rewriting for Windows Server IIS is an essential add on for Windows Servers. It creates static page names as opposed to the dynamic names with the question mark. Some SEO consultants argue that modern search engines do not require static page names, however, Fruition has experienced it time and time again, that static page names do contribute to improved page rankings.
ISAPI Rewrite has the following features:
- No IIS service restart required.
- Easy product installation and comes with default “global configuration” for the entire server (all sites will be affected by these global rules).
- Better support for multiple virtual sites. Just need to drop in “local configuration” file and it’s up and running right away. Again, no IIS restart here either.
- Excellent product documentation and examples.
- Configuration file can be edited live at anytime.
- ISAPI has a small stand alone Regular Expression Test Utility GUI app for developers to test/debug expressions before use.
- Error log file produced if there is any error in the production configuration file.
- ISAPI shows full documentation of all available expressions.
- ISAPI has Optimization Flag to clean up URL Encode before parsing and a Ignore Case-sensitive Flag.